Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Crispy Adobo Flakes

When you mention the word Adobo, you think of the quintessential Filpino stew that is unanimously agreed upon as the Philippine's National Dish (or the iconic Mexican dish). But there is an incarnation of the stew that is a popular breakfast fare. Let me present to you - Crispy Adobo Flakes.



They're simply shredded Adobo meat. It can be chicken or pork but the meat, usually from leftovers, are shredded by hand and then fried over low heat until they turn nice and golden brown. Before you can make the dish, you must first have abodo, no? If you have adobo, good. If not, here's my recipe for Chicken Adobo. 


My tip is to cook boneless and skinless chicken breasts. Now drain the cooked chicen adobo from the sauce. Now don't you throw away that adobo sauce, you will need it later. Now comes the hard part, shredding the chicken by hand. I do it while I am watching TV with my hubby. I put a breast in a small basin and meticulously start shredding the meat into the thinnest strands I can possibly can. Do this for all the meat. If you are using leftover meat from your adobo recipe, discard the skin and the bones before shredding the meat. So have you shredded all your meat? It's time to fry it.

If you followed my recipe for adobo then you would have some fat that you have skimmed off the sauce while it is stewing. If you saved the fat then you're a good cook. Take that fat (about 2-3 tablespoons of it, yes I know it's a lot but trust me it will add great flavor to your flakes). Put it in a nonstick pan and set the heat to low. Dump all the shredded meat and start stirring. It's best to use two spatulas to toss the meat around. Keep tossing the meat until everything starts to get nice and golden-brown. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how low your heat is.

                    


Now to serve this, you would need rice (garlic fried is the best kind), a sunny-side up egg, and some tomato slices on the side. I made this late at night so that my youngest can bring it to school for his lunch. Eldest son aka (Bottomless Pit 1) was still up so he asked for some as a midnight snack. This is him after taking the first bite. 



It was all worth it.


1 comment: