Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Roast Thyme Pork Loin - A Family Favorite



My family is a family of meat eaters. My boys and my hubby always crave for a good portion of meat with a starchy side dish (rice, potatoes, bread, etc.). One of the perennial family favorite is my Roast Pork Loin redolent with Thyme. I don't marinate the loin, I dry rub it. 

Marinate is when you soak the meat in a liquid-type mixture of sauces, condiments and spices. Dry-rub is different. You basically take your meat, rub it with whatever spice powder, herb mixture, flavored salt, etc. that you have and let it sit for a while. The best time is 1 hour. But in my case when my days are busy and my men are hungry, I just rub my herbs and powders on and then pop it in the oven.

Here's my go-to mixture of dry rub:

Onion powder
Garlic powder
Lawry's seasoned salt (*if you don't have this, substitute with your choice of flavored salt)**
Dried thyme leaves

1. Put your pork loin on a big platter and pat it dry with a paper towel or a clean dish rag.
2. Sprinkle onion powder evenly to coat all the surface of the loin.
3. Do the same with the rest of the ingredients.
4. Once the meat is thoroughly covered, let it sit for an hour (optional).
5. Heat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius and pop the meat in and cook for about 50 minutes to an hour (depending on the size and thickness of the meat).
6. The roast is done when the surface of the meat is evenly browned and the juices run clear when the loin is pierced with a fork.
7. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for about 5-7 minutes. This will allow juices to come out (for gravy or for drizzling over the starchy accompaniment).
8. Slice and serve the roast.

**(if you don't have flavored salt, just use salt and pepper).

No comments:

Post a Comment